Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Celebrating the Blessings

Last weekend, we traveled to my hometown to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday. After church Sunday, myself and 130 of my relatives gathered in the family life center for a catered luncheon to commemorate her big day. There was a special table set aside for my grandmother and 15 other relatives who have January birthdays along with a huge birthday cake. On the wall was our family's genealogy; displayed quilts my grandmother had made in the past; and a scrapbook of memories we had all made for her to read. Several relatives did special performances for my grandmother in the form of singing and clogging. One of the neatest things I saw was a television which displayed old home 8mm movies which had been converted to a DVD. On this DVD was something I had never seen before---me as a baby.

My grandmother is deaf and has been deaf since she was 11 years old due to a high fever when she contracted the flu. She and my grandfather had 8 children. My mother is the oldest of those 8. It amazes me how my grandmother birthed and raised so many, all without hearing a word (perhaps that's why my mother was such a good one--because she tended to her siblings since she could hear them cry!). I sat there and watched people stream by her chair, all telling her how much she meant to them. I wondered how much she really understood? It must be challenging to be deaf and know there is a party in your honor and you can't hear any of it.

In watching all of those around her, I was reminded of Psalm 37:25, "I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging for bread. They are always generous and lend freely; their children will be blessed." My grandmother had her children in attendance, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren there---all of them blessed in some form or fashion. That's what I want to leave behind for my children--eternal blessings.

1 comment:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

we are watching you as i type! just wanted to let you know that you look great and, as always, mary peyton is so glad to see you on tv! she says that it's "her barbie" and that "she (you) has baby in her belly". of course she's told everybody at daycare that i have a baby in my belly and that is FAR from true!!!

it was a sweet story that brother mark shared about you and kara grace at her funeral friday. what a precious litte girl she was.....