Monday, June 14, 2010

It Is The Devil

A good friend of mine walked in a half marathon Saturday morning in Ridgeland. Saturday afternoon, I made her a batch of double-dark chocolate brownies. I admit, when they cooled off, I gave them a taste test (who wouldn't?). When I walked them to her house and handed them off, I told her "These brownies are the devil!" That was my way of saying they were so delicious, they were utterly evil.

Satan doesn't look like some terrible monster. In fact, he does what he can to disguise himself and make himself invisible so he won't be blamed or fought as the enemy. He will manipulate circumstances and situations against you. He will use people to come against you--people who will abuse you, misuse you and confuse you! Ephesians 6:12 says we are battling against "principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 11:3, "I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." Did you see those three words that describe the devil? Deceived, craftiness and corrupted.

Satan deceives us by convincing us that right is wrong and wrong is right. When you are deceived, you believe a lie. His craftiness means he is a master of manipulation. He finds a back door, a missing link, or a point of weakness and capitalizes on it. He preys upon what you believe has already been dealt with.

For instance, last week I received an anonymous email from a viewer:

"Is that a baby bump you're sporting?"

I think the answer to that is obvious if you have seen me in person, but Satan knows how sensitive I've always been about weight issues. If you've read my book, then you know how far back that story goes! After reading the email, I immediately went to the girls dressing room at WLBT and began looking at myself in the mirror. Do I really look like I'm pregnant? Maybe I need to add another 30 minutes of cardio to my exercise regiment. Then, I realized from whom that email originated.

And, the devil is corrupted. He leads people to follow their passions and desires of their own self rather than the will of God.

When you see deceit, craftiness and corruption coming your way, look at who's behind it and there you'll find the culprit. Deal with HIM!

3 comments:

The Miller's Blog said...

Wow. You still amaze me with how positive you always are. You are an epitome of "being less like me, and more like Christ". I pray for that everyday. You are a true example of what that means. Thank you.

Wings Like Eagles.... said...

I have read your book and so I know about your sensitivity to weight. I thoroughly enjoyed the read - I read the entire book in an evening and no, I'm not a speed reader, it's just so fascinating, I had a hard time putting it down.

Anonymous said...

You would post this on a day when I am craving brownies...speaking of temptations from the devil! :-)

Love your blog.

:-)