Monday, March 26, 2012

Are You Root Bound?

A couple of weeks ago, I planted close to 150 marigolds and periwinkles. But in my calculations, I realized I had bought too many and quickly ran out of ground to put them in. So, I put them aside, keeping them in their small flat until I had time to transplant them into larger pots. Time has slipped away...

Yesterday while sitting on the back patio, I noticed my leftover plants and how they were beginning to droop. They are wanting to grow, eager to develop deeper roots but they're root bound. The only thing that will allow them to do what they were created to do is to plant them where they can thrive.

2 Peter 3:18 encourages us to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ". Growth is pivotal in not becoming root bound.

However, we must have a desire to grow as a Christian and to maintain that growth. Growth is always needed and learning how to deal with life's circumstances through God's Word is a great place to start. It is our spiritual food. But exercise and practice is crucial to flourishing in a deeper relationship with Christ. 1 Timothy 4:7 says, "Exercise yourself towards godliness." That means if you aren't living it, you aren't moving forward. You're stagnant. But growing into a deeper communion with God doesn't happen overnight. It takes time and patience. Children don't grow taller over night and neither do we.

The story of the little boy who fell out of bed reminds me so much of our Christian growth. When asked what happened he said, "I guess I stayed too close to the gettin'-in place." How true that is for many Christians; we stay too close to the gettin' in place and never persevere in allowing our roots to develop deeper in Christ.

No comments: