Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Mountain in Bora Bora

When we arrived in Bora Bora, I was fascinated with this mountain. It's just an incredible site to see and is actually the side crater of the volcano that lies beneath the water. Who would've thought lava could pile high enough to create this peak? Every time I go outside, I look at that mountain and  wondered "What's on the other side?" 


We took a jeep tour on that island--yes, where that mountain is. I wasn't too thrilled with this climb in an old vehicle that looked like it hadn't had a brake inspection in 20 years. I don't care for heights, especially when rocks are sliding under our tires and we are inches away from death over a cliff.

When we got to the other side of this mountain and stepped out of the jeep, the view took my breath away. My eyes couldn't take it all in and were in overload. Now I knew why I've been so mesmerized by this mountain and why I needed to get to the other side!

Your spiritual walk of faith can often look like an incredible mountain to you.You watch others have faith and walk through the storms in life and come out victorious on the other side. You wonder if or when you'll get to that point of being able to place your problems and issues into the hands of the Father. But it's so easy to get comfortable on your side of the mountain because of the fear of the steep climb and the falling rocks that may come down in front of you, not to mention the dramatic drop off the mountain just inches away. Because of fear of failure, you're simply stuck with admiring the mountain but never going to the other side.


Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." 2 Corinthians 5:7 says, "We live by faith, not by sight." 1 Corinthians 2:5 says, "...so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom but on God's power."

So my question to the guide on our tour was: Has anyone ever climbed this mountain? The answer is no. It's too steep so the people just go around it by going on the other side. Interesting....

If you knew what's on the other side of your spiritual mountain, you'd go around it. There's no need to climb it when you can go around it. Move forward, in faith, and get to the other side so you can see what's ahead in your growing relationship with the Lord.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Barbie. Timing is perfect! Thank you for being a vessel of God

Unknown said...

I hope you're having a good time. We can't wait until you come back to WLBT.

msgriff said...

Thanks, for such a timely word! I was having a "moment", but after reading your post, I realize I have change the way I view my mountain. I have to view it like God intended it to be, to use my faith and SPEAK TO THE MOUNTAIN! Thanks for the reminder!
Cynthia G.

Janie said...

This reminds me of Peter stepping out of the boat and walking on the water. When he took his eyes off Jesus he began to sink! As long as we keep our eyes on Him we are safe! "Stepping out of the boat" is an act of faith!