Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wednesday Update on My Brother

I couldn't sleep much last night, but I can't really blame it on Lilly Faith. Last night around 9pm, a nurse attending to my brother told my sister-in-law that Doug was not doing well. The nurse suggested Doug immediately file for disability because he would never live a normal life and would never farm again. She suggested we get the will updated and had nothing positive to say at all concerning Doug's condition. He was also still on the ventilator, which was not a good sign. Needless to say, my sister-in-law was thrown into a tizzy of emotions along with the rest of us.

Between overnight feedings and diaper changes, I tried my best to sleep, but God wouldn't let me. That usually means something! I found myself praying for my brother most of the night. At one point, I even drifted off to sleep and dreamed Doug died. I woke up and once again started praying. Now, I know that Satan likes to play mind games at times like this. I know that Satan likes for us to think of the worst case scenarios anytime there is a crisis in our life. But like a still, small voice, I heard the Holy Spirit tell me, "You didn't name your child Lilly Faith for nothing!"

When I spoke to my mother today and got an update, it seems she was experiencing the same sleepless night that I was. My mother said all she could do was pray last night; God would not let her sleep! Then the good news came early this morning: Doug was taken off the ventilator and was sitting up in his ICU space talking and drinking water. In addition to this, the doctors had been able to ween him off some of the medications. The nurses were in awe, including the one who gave my sister-in-law the bad news.

Sure, he's still on the heart pump machine which he will stay on for another day or two. But there was a reason why God would not let mom and me sleep. God wanted us to pray and pray we did! And we believe your prayers are being heard, too.

"In you, O Lord, do I hope; You will answer, O Lord my God." Psalm 38:15

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbie,
I have spent that same sleepless night praying for my 20 year old brother when he was in the ICU. I know where you are. Sometimes we can only be still and know that he is God - because that is what He asks. Even when that is the hardest thing to do.

BarbC said...

How wonderful that you and your mom listened to God's call and prayed. How sad that the nurse was so negative. I am sure in her own way she thought she was "preparing" the family, but still... I hope she is back soon and able to see how God works! Prayers continue for your brother and family. Barbara

John said...

God is good. I'm not so sure if Faith coming into this world on the same day as surgery was a coincidence. Prayers for you all.

Sue said...

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

I've just discovered your blog and was reading some previous notes from viewers. I've thought about some of them for days and I just have to respond......It has upset me tremendously that some folks have the guts to actually send you a note complaining about what you wore while being preg or to complain about the weight you gained. When a woman is preg it is the most "shining moment" in a womens life and I think the ones who complained should she shamed......and I'm not embarrased to tell you this. You are a beautiful person inside and out and you just keep shining Barbie....you have some positive viewers out here who love you just the way you are. You brought a beautiful baby into this world to love and take care of and God will bless you for this. Keep smiling girl.....your friend Sue.

Wilson said...

What a blessing! Your prayers are definitely being heard. Keep on perservering.

The Ainsworth Family said...

I just got chills reading the update on your brother. I hope that the days to come look brighter and brighter. Lilly Faith is so beautiful all of your children are..... alison

Anonymous said...

Barbie,
just wanted to let you know, I have been praying for your brother as many others. God still works miracles!!! keep trusting in him. He never lets us down. My brother has congestive heart failure along with many other heart related problems, and was only given about 3-5 years to live. That was almost 10 years ago!!!! What a miracle!!!! so, keep up your prayers and faith.