Friday, June 19, 2009

A New Challenge

In February, I shared with you how I had been challenged to pray Ephesians 1:17-21 for myself in asking that God would give me a "spirit of wisdom and revelation that I may know Him better... and know the hope to which He has called me." I had pledged to do it for 6 months so I have one more month to go. I can honestly tell you that God has most certainly been giving me this "increase" in many ways.

I've been moved here recently to fast. I picked up a book last week on prayer and fasting. This book discusses in details the ten secrets to spiritual strength and the purpose for fasting. Without going into details, the book gives biblical references as they pertain to fasts and different people in the Bible who declared fasts and why. Fasting is not done to manipulate God, but is done to be more intimate with God and to see His will more clearly.

The author of this book, Ronnie Floyd, has done numerous fasts: a meal fast, 1 day, 3 day, and several 40 day fasts! He even suggests keeping a fasting journal and to write in the journal what you want God to reveal to you at the conclusion of that particular fast. I've heard other people say before they had done non-food fasts, like a fast from watching television, fasting from the computer, and even speaking fasts.

In my own life, I have some things before me that I need the Lord to make clearer, so I've decided to fast. Although I won't discuss when I'm fasting, I hope to share with you later what the outcome is. The increase I've received isn't enough, as I want more and more every single day. When we experience God's holiness through fasting and prayer--giving up what is natural to attain a spiritual goal or breakthrough--we will never be the same.

This week I've been studying more of Psalm 25:12, "Who, then, is the man that fears that Lord? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him. He will spend his days in prosperity and his descendants will inherit the land. The Lord confides in those who fear him, he makes his covenant known to them."

Wow, need I say more?

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing about how this goes. Fasting is something I've considered but never wanted to do unless I really felt an urging from the Holy Spirit to do so.

John said...

I really need to check that out. I have never really understood fasting.

Leslielu said...

As a Catholic, we have fasted on Holy Days, and regularly before mass, as communion is an important part of our religion. Many still practice meatless Fridays. I love your Blog. God Bless you!