Friday, May 14, 2010

For The Stellas In This World

Several viewers have noticed I haven't had a hair cut in a few months and wondered why I was letting my hair "get straggly" (as one lady put it). After much thought and prayer, I've decided to grow my hair a third time for Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.

For the last two years, the hair donated by me and thousands of other WLBT viewers was used to make human hair wigs for women who have lost their hair due to cancer. Mississippi women have been able to select a wig for themself at no charge. These human hair wigs normally retail for $1,000 to $1,500. We set up a wig bank at a local hospital--the first of it's kind in the state.

Unfortunately, the wig reserves are getting low and the need has only gotten greater. Not to mention, a good friend of mine and my husband was diagnosed with cancer last month. Stella McNeer is a spirit-filled Christian, mother and wife. She teaches a Bible study at her church and is a paramedic by day. When she got her diagnosis, I knew what I wanted to do--grow my hair in honor of Stella. During her treatments, Stella has enjoyed pushing her grandson down the hospital halls.
Knowing how personal hair can be to a woman, I took Stella one of the last Pantene wigs to the hospital this week. Her face lit up when she felt she looked somewhat "normal" again.



Stella looks like a new woman with her new hair do! And amazingly so, the wig just so happened to be her natural hair color.

If you are interested in joining me in growing your hair for women who have lost theirs due to cancer, then jump on board. We will gather in February 2011 for the big cutting event and possibly break another Guinness Book of World Records like we did before!

2 comments:

The Miller's Blog said...

I can't believe people say such unbelievable things to you. Especially when it comes to your hair. I could not survive being in the spotlight all the time. But, you handle it so well and remain so confident.

And I think it's great that you go to all the trouble of growing your hair out so you can cut it for other women to have hair. Growing out hair can be a lot of trouble and maintenance. Kudos to you and your heart of compassion.

Braxton's Mommy said...

Barbie, Please tell your friend Stella that her new hair is BEAUTIFUL as well as she is with her baseball cap on! This post hits close to home as I am in my last rounds of chemo. Being a 27 yr old woman without any hair I know how old it gets getting up and putting on a cap to cover your bald head everyday and how much a wig helps lift your spirits! Its such a nice thing you all do by donating your hair so people like Stella and I can feel more like women while we walk this journey in our life! Please give Stella my best wishes and let her know I will be praying for her! God Bless you both!