Monday, November 28, 2011

Giving God Your Time

One week ago, I set out on my book tour with "Carry An Umbrella When There's No Rain in the Forecast: 365 Days of Living by Faith". I have been overwhelmed at the sales. In just over 1 week, almost one-third of the books have sold. Every store keeps selling out. It goes to show that God's people are hungry for more of Him.

Last weekend, I spent on the farm with my family and got to attend my home church, Crowder Baptist Church. The pastor talked about the importance of sharing our talent, treasure and time with God. Now, how many times have I heard this sermon? But I was more convicted this time around than I have ever been.

Malachi 3:8 says, "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' In tithes and offerings." Then God goes on to say in verse 10, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

As I looked at my own life, I began to see while I've been faithful in sharing my tithes and talents given by God in various ways to all people, I am failing miserably when it comes to the "time" part. Home schooling, speaking across the southeast, my WLBT career along with the book tour, working for American Family Radio, doing hundreds of other things that I won't list here and having a husband and being a mom, my schedule is packed. I'm lucky if I get a few hours of sleep a night. And because of all of this, I'm guilty of verse 8--robbing God---of my time.

Why do we feel like we can offer up a prayer here or there in the busyness of our life and think God is satisfied with that? Our spouse wouldn't be happy with a quick "hello" and perhaps a half-hearted hug as we ran out the door, so why do we think God is? The way circumstances around me are going, I need to be giving God the very BEST of my time--what is first, not what is left. When that happens, God promises to bless you in a was which can only be described as coming from Him.

(Barbie will be signing her books at Edgewood Interiors in McComb December 1 from 11:30am-1pm as well as being the guest speaker at First Baptist Ridgeland's ladies night out that night. On December 2, you can catch her at the Mendenhall Grain & Grocery from 11:30am-1pm. Over the weekend, she'll be in Pearl & Carthage. Check www.barbiebassett.com for specifics.)

No comments: