Monday, December 19, 2011

The Story in Nestor The Long-Eared Donkey

Last night, I pulled up YouTube for my children to watch one of my favorite Christmas claymations--"Nestor, The Long-Eared Christmas Donkey". I remember watching this special on television as a child and I've noticed over the years it is no longer shown (probably because it talks of the Christ child?).

It's the story of Nestor, a donkey born with extremely long ears. Nestor was constantly made fun of by the other animals in the stable. Through some circumstances, he and his mother found themselves on their own, kicked out of the stable trying to survive a blizzard. Nestor's mother dies in the cold and he's all alone. Tilly, a cherub, falls from a cloud and is sent on a mission to help guide Nestor out of the wilderness. On their journey, Tilly tells Nestor all he has to do is be obedient to the sounds he hears with his long ears because his ears hear sounds other won't. Tilly guides him to another land where Nestor is taken in by an animal trader. The animal trader quickly finds out he has "a dud" of a donkey in Nestor because of his long ears. However, Joseph and Mary happen upon this animal trader's tent needing a donkey to make the long trip to Bethlehem. They pick Nestor because he's short enough for Mary to climb onto; not because of his ears. Through a sand storm, Nestor hears the guidance from above and makes his way to Bethlehem. While there, it's obvious the inns are full. With ease, Nestor remembers how warm and cozy the stable used to be when he was younger and guides Joseph and Mary to a stable where baby Jesus was born.

It was a sweet story and I obviously appreciate it more as an adult than I did when I was a kid.

In your life, there will be various trials and hardships that will come. There will be plenty of nay-sayers and wrong decisions made along the way. Through all of the confusion and frustration of life, we must go back to what we know. For Nestor the long-eared donkey it was the stable. For us, it could be the simplicity of one of my favorite children's songs:

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus love me
The Bible tells me so!

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Bo Lumpkin said...

I really enjoyed that. I think I remember it from long ago too. I hope you and your family have a Very Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember which cable channel it was on, but I did see "Nestor" advertised last year.

Merry Christmas Season!