Monday, February 18, 2019

Pursuing the Heart of God

Valentines Day was last week. While I can always depend on my husband giving me roses and an overly, sweet card, our kids typically come up with a handmade card or a store version. Their words are kind, from the heart, and make me smile. They usually involve phrases like, "You're the best mom ever" or "You are fun to be with" and even the obligatory "I love you". Those make any mother's heart smile, but I believe my favorite happened this year.

Right there at the end, it struck me: "..you always love your enemies". My children are watching how I react to unkind people. Matthew 4:44 says, "I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

I'd like to think I don't have any enemies, but I know I'm not everyone's "cup of tea" for whatever reason. That doesn't bother me as I don't care for tea either, but I'm friends with many who enjoy tea!

Praying blessings and mercy on those who may see themselves as your adversary is a choice. (I didn't say it was fun and it doesn't make sense in the natural) While you've probably been taught the importance of praying and loving those who make it difficult to love, there is supernatural, God-sized power when we do. When our faith in doing what's right combines with the Word of God, that's where the power comes from. If you do something just a do it, it becomes a religious ritual that has no power. Always move with the Holy Spirit and the heart of God.

So when you find yourself tempted to speak negatively about the person who gets on your ever-lasting nerve or to make a passive aggressive comment...or as our society likes to do now, post on social media hoping the person who offends you the most will read it...pursue God's heart. When you do, it will make loving that person so freeing!

No comments: