Friday, February 15, 2019

Thank You, Mississippi!

Just when you think your problems are too overwhelming, you read about someone else's battle. I received this email yesterday while on my way to Mississippi Blood Services to get ready for my LIVE shot for WLBT.

I have multiple myeloma blood cancer. I had a stem cell transplant on February 8, 2018. I'm now receiving IGIV infusions due to a very low immune system. This is created from blood plasma from thousands of donors. This is a 5 hour infusion once a month during the winter months. I just want to thank you for what you do for Mississippi Blood Services and other organizations. I stand to live a longer, healthier quality life from the knowledge of doctors at UMMC and Christian people who give and support me. -Sandra

I can tell you other stories of donors who came in and shared how they had received blood products to help them recover from an illness, a surgery or knew of someone who had received blood. One young lady told me she came to donate in memory of her grandfather who passed away earlier this month from leukemia. He had received blood transfusions throughout his treatments. With tears in her eyes she said, "I'll donate from here on out" because others gave him an extra day to live so she could have her grandfather.

Yesterday was the most blood donated in one day in 10 years for Mississippi Blood Services on Valentines! Sure, Marshall Ramsey and I were thrilled to lend a hand in getting people through the doors, but it's a fact Mississippians have a heart for others. Because 302 people showed up on Valentines, more people will have the opportunity to live. All of the credit goes to you, Mississippi!

Barbie with Marshall Ramsey

No comments: