Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Doubting Spirit

A high school student recently told me he was interested in becoming a meteorologist. He wanted to know what kind of classes to take in high school. I stressed to him the importance of speech classes, computer classes, physics classes and math classes. If there was one subject I had "brain lock" in, it was math. I hated math. Any kind of math. Probably because I wasn't good in it and math intimidated me. When I got into graduate school at Mississippi State University, I quickly realized the math load associated with the meteorology classes. There was only one thing I could do: quit! I became so frustrated, but I truly believed meteorology was where God wanted me to be. Finally, I told God "If you want me to do this, to make it and to not be a failure and waste my parents' money, YOU are going to have to help me with math!"

Moses had brain block when it came to speaking. Exodus 4:10 says, "And Moses said to the Lord, O Lord, I am not eloquent or a man of words, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and have a heavy and awkward tongue." When God called Moses to be His spokesman to Pharaoh and the Israelites, Moses told God he wasn't eloquent enough to do what God wanted. God's response in Exodus 4:11 was, "Who has made man's mouth? Is is not I, the Lord?" We think sometimes that God does not know about all of our weaknesses, but He does.

In Exodus 4:12 God told Moses, "Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and will teach you what you shall say." The next time God tells you to do something for Him or to speak for Him and you get fearful or anxious, remember: if He has sent you or called you, He will be with you. The doubt must go before you can go.

3 comments:

jddavis said...

I'm glad you found where God needed you to be. I've faced challenges to find my place in God's plan. I also have doubted and I hope to pass on to my childen and grandchildren never give up. Trust him and he will help you reach your/His goal. God had plans for us before we were ever born. You can tell the people that have found God's place for them...they do an excellent job. Keep up the good work.

I have a 9 year old granddaughter who thinks the world of you. You are a good role model for her. Would you please send her an autographed picture of you? Her name is Anna Brooke Davis
646 Alderman LN SW
Brookhaven, Ms 39601

Barbara said...

If God leads you to it; He will lead you through it. That's one of my favorite sayings. I believe it!

Angie said...

Thanks for that post because I to have been there at times in my life. Not only have I doubted God but myself. But I remind myself over and over that I can do ALL things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me. Praise God, because without him we would be nothing. Angie (McComb)