Friday, January 8, 2010

Climbing Higher

Recently I watched a documentary on the climbers who tackle Mount Everest. As you know, this is the tallest mountain in the world. But the climbers can't go from the bottom to the top in just one day. It takes several days for their bodies to adjust to the high altitude. They have camps they stay at for days at a time so their bodies can get used to the atmospheric changes. Even medically, their bodies change. Their red blood cells actually double in number to be able to carry enough oxygen to keep them alive. I guess you could say this type of climbing must be in your blood in order for you to survive!

Psalm 24:3-4 says, "Who may ascend to the hill of the Lord? Who many stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessings from the Lord and vindication from God his Savior." God challenges anyone who wants to move up higher in their relationship with Him. After He says we must have clean hands and a pure heart, He promises blessing from the Lord.

I mentioned Monday I would share with you what I set out to do for the new year. Well, I've been fasting since Sunday. I started out doing a liquid fast and transitioned to a Daniel fast late this week. And after writing down the things I wanted to hear from God and the people I was specifically praying for, I've continued it up to this point. No, it hasn't been easy and I've had to rely heavily upon the Holy Spirit to get me through the headaches as my body has dealt without caffeine. But I am convinced this is what the Lord wanted me to do and get 'uncomfortable' while I was doing it.

I'm learning there are some blessings we cannot receive from God at the level I'm currently at. We must move up higher in God's presence. And as we make adjustments to the altitude, we must also make adjustments to our attitude (not very easy!). I believe the true hunger in the heart of every believer is God's presence. I was convicted for 2010, it is time for me to move up higher in the glory of God. This where we are satisfied, fulfilled and where blessings flow.

It may take me some getting used to, it could get unpleasant at times, and there may be plenty of challenges along the way. But I'm letting the Holy Spirit be my guide and I'll trek on with my pursuit of a change in altitude!

No comments: