Monday, February 22, 2010

Why Giants Exist

Last night during the thunderstorms, my children became concerned about the frequent lightning and booming thunder. "I don't like thunder!" Will said. "It sounds scary!" Gracie shared what someone had told her, "Thunder is God moving His furniture in heaven." Then she thought about it further. "But that doesn't make sense because it still sounds loud and mean." I didn't figure they were ready for the meteorological explanation of what causes thunder and the expansion of heat, so I told them something a bit different. "The thunder is praising God," I told them. "The Bible says that even the rocks will cry out and praise the Lord. That's what is happening with thunder. It's just saying 'thank you God for making me!'" Gracie and Will have now changed their perspective on thunder. It's not so mean and scary anymore.

So perhaps there is a pattern as to why our giants exist (see last Friday's blog entry).

Exodus 6:7 says, "Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brings you out."
Exodus 9:14 says, "That you may know that there is none like Me in all the earth."
Exodus 9:15 says, "That may name may be declared in all the earth."
Exodus 10:2 says, "That you may tell in the hearing of your son and your son's son the mighty things I have done in Egypt..that you may know that I am the Lord."
Exodus 14:17-18 says, "I will gain honor over Pharaoh. Then the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord."
Joshua 4:24 says, "That all the peoples of the earth may know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty."

Do you see it? It practically slapped me up side the head! God wants to be known and honored for who He is and giants in our life are the primary opportunity to make His power and goodness known to a doubting world. When God chooses to defeat a giant through us, we say, "God did that!". He receives all of the glory.

So, I'm going to seek out my biggest giants and come against them as a warrior for God's glory. It's time to run toward every Giant that stands in my way and God is ready for you to do the same!

No comments: