Friday, November 5, 2010

New Way To Look At Your Enemies

Do you have someone who seems to make your life miserable? Chances are, you do. Someone recently shared with me how someone in their life constantly hurts their feelings. She likened them to an enemy in her life. When she felt like she was taking one step forward, her "enemy" would press the right buttons and push her two steps back.

David had an enemy named Goliath. But have you ever realized that Goliath catapulted David from a shepherd boy to a king? Too often, we see our enemies as trying to bring us down and break our spirit when in fact, our enemies may be a door to our next season.

Paul called his enemy a thorn in the flesh. For years, I thought Paul was referring to some sort of temptation he couldn't shake or perhaps a physical ailment. The older I've gotten, I'm beginning to believe Paul was actually referring to a person. 2 Corinthians 12: 7-9 says, "Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'" Notice Paul referred to his thorn as a "messenger of Satan". A messenger is defined as a 'person who carries a message'.

You and I will have to endure some enemies. Some of them will keep us grounded as Paul said. God won't remove them for reasons only known to Him. But it's time to look at your enemies as an announcement from God that a new season is coming in your life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! i am dealing with this now. Thanks to this I am looking at this from a new perspective.

Kimberly Winters said...

Very good, Barbie! Nice perspective.