Friday, January 6, 2012

All You Need To Do Is Rest

"I feel like you are a lot closer to God and our Lord Jesus Christ. That's why I'm asking you to put me on your prayer list. I've had so many things go wrong in the last 2-3 months that I don't even feel worthy enough to pray for help. I try to do things by helping others and it always seems to backfire on me. I'm not doing something right or at least the wrong way. I don't feel comfortable telling anybody my weaknesses so I'm asking you to pray for help and healing for me."

I received the above email this week from a viewer who is obviously struggling. We all have issues that come up and hit us out of the blue; trials we weren't expecting.

The reason the children of Israel wandered in a small, triangular piece of land for 40 years was because of unbelief and restlessness. Hebrews 3:12 says, "See to it that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God." Verse 19 says, "So we see that they were not able to enter (the Promised Land), because of their unbelief."

If you are a child of the living God, you must believe that He has a perfect plan for you and your best interest in mind. The children of Israel didn't "get that" because they were too busy second guessing God's ways. The Israelites thought they had a better plan in mind.

The next chapter of Hebrews tells an even greater message. Hebrews 4:1-10 are a just a few verses but it mentions the word "rest" a total of 8 times. The children of Israel didn't have faith, or believe, in God's guiding hand which got them stressed out, worried and frazzled, which did not allow them to rest in Him! Are you seeing the correlation here?

The stressors in life are going to come. It's a given. But if you believe God will get you through, even on the toughest days, you can rest (and have peace) that He's in control.

No comments: