Monday, January 9, 2012

Not As 'All Together' As I Thought

I'm a go-getter. If something needs to be done, I'll do it. If something mechanical needs fixing, I can't promise I'll fix it, but I'll at least try (and sometimes make it worse). My parents raised me to be independent and not to rely on anyone else to "fix" my life or my situation.

However, this personality trait of mine can sometimes be my biggest downfall.

I get tired of trying to make things happen, don't you? For some time, God has been convicting me to stop being in the conductor's seat and let Him take over. Now He wants to make it happen! In the same way you and I might feel embarrassed in a restaurant or grocery store when we see someone's children acting up and getting away with it, God feels the same way about our self-righteousness or pride. God is uncomfortable with it--in our home, in our workplace and in our church. We are not "as together" as we think we are.

Philippians 3:12 says, "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." Paul was basically saying, "Father, what are You doing? That's what I'll do."

But that takes quite a bit of repentance on my I'll-do-it-myself attitude. Repentance is the answer because it prepares the way for God to move and makes the road of my heart straight. Repentance prepares for His presence. In fact, you can't live in His presence without repentance.

How long has it been since you laid down everything that you've been trying to "fix", everything that occupied you, and ran down the road of repentance to pursue God?

(Barbie will be the guest speaker at Brandon Baptist's ladies brunch this Thursday.)

No comments: