Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Live It Out Loud!

Like many of you last night, I watched the election returns between newscasts. I found myself getting worried and downright anxious. The political commentators were just making me nervous. So, I turned off the television, grabbed Lilly Faith and we went and played in another room. It was the only way I could escape the stress that was building up inside of me. I found myself praying for her and my other children, for their future and for them to grow to be spiritual warriors.

The persecutions you and I and our children have coming to us seem bleak. But no matter what a leader says about abortion, marriage, Israel, or any other cultural, social or foreign issue, God addresses them all in the 66 books of the Bible. God does not compromise and doesn't change His mind on any of the issues (I've tried to find it).

I am reminded about what Moses told Joshua in Deuteronomy 31:6, "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."

We have a tongue-in-cheek term we use for those who sit in the back of the Baptist churches every Sunday morning. They are referred to as "back row Baptists". The joke is that these are people who don't want to take a public stand for Christ, get involved in evangelism and other matters spoken about in God's Word. But these "back row Baptists" continue to come to church because they want their fire insurance and want to be able to sneak into heaven via the back pearly gate.

Truth is still on the throne and Truth is still in control and reigns! So now is the time. Don't be a back row Christian. Live your Christianity out loud and as that old hymn says,

"Stand up, stand up for Jesus, ye soldiers of the cross. Lift high His royal banner, it must not suffer loss. From victory unto victory, His army shall He lead. Till every foe is vanquished and Christ is Lord indeed. Stand up, stand up for Jesus, the trumpet call obey; forth to the mighty conflict, in this his glorious day. Ye that are brave now serve him against unnumbered foes; let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose. Stand up, stand up for Jesus, the strife will not be long; this day the noise of battle, the next the victor's song. To those who vanquish evil a crown of life shall be; they with the King of Glory shall reign eternally."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Barbie. I needed some encouragement this morning.

Susan Rhymes Harvey said...

As I watched the election unfold last night, I literally got nauseous. I prayed for God to change what I was seeing happen. We do not know His plans, but He will reveal them in His time. I prayed very selfishly for my candidate to win. I know God is in control, we just have to be patient, keep our faith steadfast and trust. Thank you for this blog. It helps me keep my direction.

Wilson said...

Thanks, Barbie!

Melanie said...

THANK YOU! I too, needed some encouraging! I know God is in Control and has a plan, but sometimes it is hard to understand certain things in our life and why they happen!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I needed some encouragement as well. The outcome of this election literally makes me sick to my stomach. But we have to remember Psalm 118:8, "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man".

Anonymous said...

Barbie, I too found myself by the beds of my two precious children last night praying for their future.

Anonymous said...

You always seem to write exactly what I need to remember! Christians must start standing up!

Samantha said...

Thanks for the encouragement today. Now more than ever we need to be telling folks that JESUS IS LORD... WE'VE GOT TO LIVE OUT LOUD AND WITNESS WITH EVERY BREATH! Jesus is coming soon and we need to take as many with us when he comes as possible!