Friday, January 23, 2009

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me

I was coming back from the gym this week when I turned into the subdivision and saw where officer friendly had pulled someone over. I pulled in behind the patrol car and noticed there was no space for me to go around them as the person who had been pulled over had stopped in the middle of the subdivision's entrance. I pulled to the side a bit to see if anyone was driving through the exit side of the entrance. It was clear. So I backed up and drove through the exit side of the subdivision entrance so as not to bother the officer and the person he had blue lighted. A couple hours later, my husband called me. "Why did you drive on the wrong side of the road?" he asked. I had to think about what he was talking about, having forgotten about the officer and car who had blocked the neighborhood entrance. I explained what had happened and of course asked, "How do YOU know what I did this morning?" He told me, "The officer told me he saw my wife this morning driving on the wrong side of the road. He said he would let you off the hook.... this time." I can't do anything without somebody watching!

Although the officer was telling my husband that in jest, it made me think about how you and I are constantly being watched by others: our children, our family, our co-workers, fellow drivers, church members, total strangers, you name it. When they are looking at us, what are they seeing? Are they seeing someone who has mercy, someone with a forgiving attitude? Do they see someone who looks like they have a chip on their shoulder or someone who may chew them out on the spot? Or, do they see someone who has the joy of the Lord on their face?

Paul wrote in Colossians 3:23, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverance for the Lord." It is easy to show God's love when we know someone is watching us. It is much harder to show God's love when they aren't showing any love to us, right? But Paul said to do it with sincerity of heart and reverance for the Lord.

It is important that we show the love of Jesus through our everyday tasks, actions and words, because you never know who's eyes God is watching you through.

4 comments:

John said...

Just what I was praying about this morning. I have to admit I don't put forth a Christ like image like I should.

Jennifer said...

When I saw this title, it reminded me of a 80's song. Well I think it's a 80's sing. Ha! "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell. It was one of those one hit wonders.

When I was growing up, I had a Sunday School Teacher that told us, "You'll never know who's watching you, so always be on your best behavior." Meaning you need to always show others, that Jesus is in your heart. I thought about her when I read this too. :)

Michael Detwiler said...

It shows me that people (some believers and some non-believers) are watching me to see how I (a vocal and dedicated follower of Jesus) is going to handle himself.

I can lead people to Jesus by how I act or drive them away.

Great post Barbie...

Amy said...

I know what you mean! When I was a teenager any time I did something wrong, I got caught! I was not a bad teenager by no means, but every time I did something a little mischevious, my parents always found out about it. Not too long ago I was with my mom and some other women. We started talking about things we did as a teenager. My mom made the comment that she never had any trouble with "her girls"(my sister and me). I told her what was the use, every time we DID do something we always got caught. Now as an adult, I understand! You never know what "eyes" are watching you! I thank God every day that my parents raised me in a good christian home.