Friday, August 28, 2009

Answers To Prayer

I had a fabulous time speaking to the women at First Baptist Church of Brandon's women's ministry dinner Monday night---all 350 of them! I talked about finding your place in ministry, among other things. Those women were on fire and ready. And....they laughed at my jokes so thanks, girls!

Just this week, I overheard someone say "I've been praying about it and now I'm just waiting on God to answer my prayer." That comment got me thinking, in particular about Daniel's story.

You remember the story of Daniel in the lions den. What we tend to focus on is Daniel's courage in the face of death and God shutting the mouths of the lions. But if you go further into the story of Daniel, you'll see more.

In Daniel 9, he began to get deeper into the scripture and prophecy of Jeremiah and began to pray. The 70 years of the Babylonian captivity Jeremiah had talked about was coming to a close and Daniel was praying to God, confessing his sins. He was prone to visions and had another one which he didn't understand. So Daniel prayed to God for an answer, for clarity. The angel Gabriel came to Daniel 'in swift flight' (verse 21). In verse 23, Gabriel tells Daniel "As soon as you began to pray, an answer was given..."

Did you see that? "As soon as you began to pray"! When we are asking God for wisdom over an issue, asking Him for a solution to our problem or praying for something dear to our heart, He has given you the answer! Does it sometimes take alittle while, even years, before we get the answer? Sure, but God has already answered your prayer!

I don't know about you, but for the requests I've been lifting to God today, I know He has already given His answer, "as soon as" I began to pray. That, my friends, will set you free!

No comments: