Friday, April 2, 2010

Sitting At Easter

Yesterday, I had the privilege of traveling to McComb for a book signing at Edgewood Interiors. People were waiting on me when I walked in the door! I was ushered to a spot where there was a desk for me to sign my books and a nice chair to sit in. I preferred not to sit as it was more fun to stand up and visit with everyone!

We sit when we are tired. We sit when we are finished with something. Other times, we sit when we are waiting.

When I was reading the story of Jesus' resurrection, I noticed something I'd not seen before. When Jesus conquered the grave, there was some sittin' going on. Matthew 28:2 says, "And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it." It was as if the angel was saying, "God has done His part so I'm just gonna sit here on this stone and rest in His goodness."

Most of the time when you sit down, you are being still. For some of us, that isn't easy, especially when you're the kind of person who is accustomed to 'doing' all of the time. When problems arise and trials come you're way, sitting and resting in the peace of God is hard to do.

A verse that comes to mind is Exodus 14:14 when Moses told the children of Israel, "The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace and remain at rest." And that's exactly what the angel did that Easter morning. The angel had witnessed Jesus' death, burial and resurrection. There was no need to flutter about or worry what was to come next. The angel knew it was time to sit and let God play out His perfect will.

So the next time the devil tries to get you to worry, fret, and wonder what to do next about a problem, just sit and rest in the Lord. Let Him handle what is to come and enjoy the peace that only He can bring to your heart. Let Him work out your situation.

Easter isn't just about Jesus' resurrection; it's about the rest we have in knowing He will take care of His own, no matter what. So this Easter weekend, sit and rest in the Lord. Happy Easter!


(Barbie will be signing her books Saturday in Yazoo City at Essco's from 10am-Noon and at Turnrow Books in Greenwood from 2pm-4pm.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbie,

I am from a small city outside of Jackson. After being raised in Mississippi all of my life, I moved 11 hours away one year ago. Your blog as been such a connection with home.

For many months just prior to my move, I worked out "with you" at Fitness Lady but was a little too shy (or out of breath) to strike up a conversation. Still, I admired your persistance from a distance.

I want you to know what a work you've done in my life. Physically, your example has encouraged me to work harder. Spiritually, you have encouraged me to draw closer to our Savior.

Thank you for standing firm. You've made a difference in one girl's life.

Up here with these Yankee sounding folks, you make me proud to be a Mississippi girl!

Anonymous said...

Heard you on Sid Salter today. I listen online as I'm down in Greene Co. We have a little Coffee and Gift Shop called Hunky Dorey, on Main Street in Leakesville. Don't really carry books but would consider it with you and a book signing. Love your blog and you have a great Christian ministry, it seems. Check out our fan page on FB.
Regina Breland
McLain, MS

KGP said...

So excited to hear about your book--can't wait to read it!

The Miller's Blog said...

I am a fellow blogger myself. I have just discovered your blog. Thank you for doing what you do, saying what you say, and writing what you write. You are very obviously an encouragement to so many.

Anonymous said...

The idea of sitting is so refreshing yet so ironic when you consider that we are able to sit with the comfort of Jesus because he has risen!