Monday, June 27, 2011

The Best Discovery To Make

As I was driving back from last week's photo shoot and thinking about the release of my second book, my mind began to wander. Has my first book made that much of an impact on people's lives? Why do I think my second book will? Have I spent all of this time working on the writing structure and pouring my heart into sharing spiritual insights for it all to be wasted? After mulling over this uncertainty for several hours, the Holy Spirit reminded me of Moses' burning bush experience.

Moses was tending sheep when he went to Horeb, the mountain of God (also called Mount Sinai, where he would be given the Ten Commandments much later). Moses' first step gives insight that he was looking for answers in going to the mountain of God. Moses saw the burning bush and looked deeper.

God spoke to Moses through the burning bush and told Moses he had been chosen to lead the children of Israel out of Egyptian slavery. But Moses began to doubt. In Exodus 3:11 Moses asked, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" God responded in verse 12, "I will be with you." God's answer wasn't good enough for Moses so he pressed in further. It's almost like you can hear Moses saying, "That's all nice and kind of you, God, but I need to know how I'm supposed to explain this to your stubborn children. You've gotta give me something else to get their attention." God cleared it up for him in verse 13, "God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'.."

You can be fired from your position. Your performance can fail. Your popularity can fall. Your possessions can fade. When this happens, you better know who you are in Christ. Just like Moses did, the best question we can ask is "who am I?" But the best discovery we can make is who God is.

God wanted wanted to change the world through Moses--and He did-- but God had to change Moses first. God has not changed in His pursuit of a personal, intimate, transparent relationship with His children.

God is ready to change the world around you through you, but He has to change you first. Discover who He is today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen!

The Miller's Blog said...

Well said as always, Barbie. And congrats on the new book!!!