Friday, December 15, 2006

The First Day

Wow! My first blog--or babble--whatever you want to call it.

I'm reminicing about last night and the fun I had watching our son, Will Christian, celebrate his 1st birthday. It seems like this year has gone far faster than I ever wanted it to. Those sleepless nights are a fading memory and I would do it all again. The love for a child cannot be explained.

Last year at this time, I was sitting in the WLBT Weather Lab preparing my graphics when I felt "that feeling" and knew something was about to happen. I wasn't prepared for the baby to make his appearance in the WLBT studios! We had a planned c-section date for December 16 because Will was in the wrong position. I thought I had several more days to do a little more Christmas shopping and continue my nesting. Not so. When my water broke, I called my husband William and told him. "Why are you calling me? Call your doctor!" he said. I did and she told me to come on in to the ER. I walked down the hall frightened all of the way to tell my boss. "It's time," I told him. "Time for what?" my news director asked. "Time for the baby. It's time for me to go to the hospital," I calmly said. "I didn't think that was supposed to happen until later this week," he said. "Well, tell the baby that because he's on his way. Oh and by the way, call someone in to do the weather tonight," I commanded. "Call Walt, call Eric, call Joanna...just call somebody!" I yelled as I walked out of the newsroom door.

I drove myself to Baptist and met my husband there. My family was just a few hours away. By 6:35pm, baby Will was born. Not that he had a name at that time. It wasn't until the day we took him home that we finally agreed on a name. Meantime, people were calling WLBT suggesting names like Houston, Dallas and Austin since my belly would no longer be covering up Texas. For some reason, it was hard for me to find humor in those suggestions!

Time has flown by and I've been a better person for it.

While I'm out and about, most WLBT viewers want to know "when will it get cold again?" Well, hold your horses--looks like your cold weather will return next weekend, just in time for Christmas.

No comments: