Monday, March 15, 2010

When You Feel Trapped

Over the weekend, I was asked to speak to a cancer support group. The women were in different stages of cancer--some were bald, some were about to start treatment and others had checked cancer off their list. You could see varying levels of worry on their faces and for good reason.

How can you not worry when you're facing a diagnosis like cancer? How can you not worry when creditors are calling you every day? How can you not worry when you lost your job and you have a family to provide for? How can you not worry about a family member who has made choices that has put them in precarious positions?

Just take a moment and think about the children of Israel as they were headed for the Red Sea. There it is...a vast body of water before you, the desert is all around you, and the Egyptian solders are barreling down on you with their swords drawn. Doesn't look very promising, does it?
The Israelites had just followed the pillar of cloud and fire, excited about their upcoming freedom. Just as they had been following the hand of God, God deliberately led them into a dead end, to the edge of a sea that was too wide and too deep to cross. Exodus 14:1-2 says it all, "Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp near Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. They are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal Zephon.'"

When you read that verse, you see where God had taken responsibility for putting them in 'a rock in a hard place'. He occasionally does the same thing with us, testing our faith, allowing hardships to come, teaching us wisdom and showing us His ways. Our first reaction is fear and worry.

It's been said before that worry is putting a question marks where God has put periods. So the next time you feel like you are in a difficult place, realize that the Lord either placed you there or allowed you to be there, for reasons known only to Himself at the time. And if He leads you to the Red Sea, He will lead you out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Barbie,
First I would like to say thank you for doing all the things you do for others and for allowing God to use you the way you do.

I had the priveledge of being at a Ladies Night Out, where you spoke recently. I was very blessed on that occassion.

As you was signing your book for me, I made a comment to you about "being in the desert" in my life right now.
I will never forget what you said to me. You said, "Don't look at it as punishment."

I know God inspired you to say that to me because that is exactly what I have wondered for some time now.

You see, I am a Christian and have no greater desire than for God to be not only my Savior but, also my LORD.

Unfortunately it has not always been that way.

For several years strayed way, way into left field and pretty much left God out of my life.
During that time I behaved in a way that I am not proud of at all.

Because of stubborness on my part, it took me a long time to allow God back into my life.
Now that I have though, it seems there has been no end to the bad things that keep happening to me.

I just don't know if God punishes us for things he has already forgiven us for.
I have prayed for him to give me an answer to that question and I think maybe he did through you that night.

Thank You again.

Keep up the good work, and, if I dont see you again this side of Heaven, I look forward to seeing you there.

P.S. Your book is great. I enjoyed it alot.