Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Condemning Hearts

Ever felt guilty for doing something? Gracie has a wonderful honesty about her most of the time, except the other day. She apparently disobeyed the babysitter and was sent to her room for a 'time out'. Later that night, my husband had a heart to heart with Gracie to find out what happened.

Gracie told her daddy she wasn't sent to her room and that she had been good. When my husband told her he knew otherwise, the jig was up. She knew she would be punished again for not telling the truth. My husband told her because she didn't tell the truth and because she acted up, her bicycle and 'sweet treats' would be taken away for her for a few days. The tears flowed like the Nile River! She was devastated. The two things she loves would be taken away. With tears in her eyes she said, "But that's all I think about..my bike and my sweet treats." It was all I could do not to giggle. "It's just so hard to get that off my mind," she said.

Ever tried to get something off your mind? Its been said we are our own worst critic. When we've done something we know we shouldn't have done, said something we know wasn't right or even thought a bad thought, we must ask God for forgiveness first. It's the "forgetting" part we have a hard time with. In I John 3:18-20 it says, "I do not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how I know that I belong to the truth, and how I set my heart at rest in his presence whenever my heart condemns me. For God is greater than my heart, and he knows everything." Isn't it good to know that God knows our heart? God knows our intentions and He is 'greater' than our heart.

No comments: