Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Do You Know The Words To....

We don't watch TV much at night. Between eating dinner, playing with the children and bath time, no one has a chance to watch TV. Last night was different. I was in the living room floor playing with the children and had the television on in the background. While playing, I was listening to NBC's latest show called "The Singing Bee" and boy, was I having fun. On the show, professional singers belt out the first part of a song and the contestants have to finish the rest of the song correctly. Let me just tell you, if I was on that show, I would win! I don't know if I have a quick memory or spent too much time listening to the radio growing up, but I could finish every song they were singing. Some contestants would find themselves making up the words and I would just shake my head. How could they not know that song?

As I got in the car and drove back to work, the Lord convicted me. I need to spend more time memorizing scripture. Sure, I was active in Bible drill when I was younger and can remember lots of scripture. But, I haven't memorized any new scripture lately. What is the purpose of this after all? The Bible says in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says the word of God equips us to go through this life with God by our side: "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." When our times are tough, we rely on scripture to remind us of God's loving kindness and the peace that only He can give.

We have things we have committed to memory--our social security number, telephone number, computer passwords, directions, bank account, etc. We can spit them out and repeat them backwards if we need to. They are easily retrieved in our mind. How much more should we memorize scripture and what God's word says to encourage us through our day!

No comments: