Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Joy Stealers

Ever had someone push your buttons and try to see how far they could get with you? I had one of those yesterday. A viewer sent me this email regarding the hair donation program I headed up in May.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remembering the campaign you did to get local women to grow and cut their hair to be donated for wigs for cancer patients . . . was there a follow up that interviewed some of the recipients of the free wigs from Pantene? I never saw anything and it would sure be great to see how many wigs were donated, how much money was raised and how all the profits have been used to benefit cancer victims. Signed, Mary Jo ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I responded with my email to her:
Mary,
Sorry you missed all of this, but we did several stories on your questions. We had over 110 pounds of hair donated which were made into wigs. The amount of hair donated for wigs was a staggering $300,000 worth of hair! All of the wigs will not be completed until the end of the year as we had so much donated. We will be doing the Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program again for a May 2008 cut off date.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently, my response wasn't good enough. Mary Jo began questioning if any women had indeed gotten wigs free of charge or if I had done the campaign for personal publicity. Once again, I explained to her how we are not privy to the women who get the wigs and why it takes so long to make one human hair wig as opposed to a synthetic wig and the price difference between the two. The ladies who receive wigs from Pantene do not pay the normal $1,500 per wig. She wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I'd publicly campaigned for this event you may be sure Pantene would be cranking out some wigs and getting them out to the needy forthwith if they didn't want to face some serious negative exposure, and I'm not even a professional news reporter (in the case of Ms. Stephanie Bell Flynt) or a meteorologist who speaks/blogs on such subjects as Christian ethics. That said, if you (or WLBT for that matter) truly wanted to make a "difference", you would focus, for example, on the millions of gallons of toxic and carcinogenic wastes dumped by Proctor & Gamble into the environment rather than providing free public relations for a company which is, in the opinion of many including myself, largely responsible for the cancer victims which they so facetiously pretend to be "helping". Signed, Mary Jo Brooks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mary Jo's emails turned personal and every response I gave her wasn't good enough. I wrote her back yesterday afternoon and told her I appreciated her recognizing I am a Christian and I'm just trying to live as Christ would have me. I did not do the hair donation campaign for any other reason than I felt God leading me in that direction. I didn't question the whys, hows and whens--I was there to give. If indeed there is some type of wrong doing or illegal works done on the part of Pantene, or any other organization for that matter, I have no knowledge to that nor do I hold any responsibility in that area. Should that be the case (which I highly doubt there is as this would've been plastered all over the nightly news), I was willing to forgive the organization and move on. Mary Jo sent me this email this morning:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's hope your viewers are as forgiving as you are . . .Signed, Mary Jo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Satan loves to use people to get to us. And if you let it, they will steal your joy and make you second guess who you are in Christ. But the Bible says God will contend with those who contend with you. Psalm 35:1-3 says, "The Lord contends with those who contend with me; He fights against those who fight against me! I take hold of the shield and buckler, and stand up for my help! I draw out also the spear and javelin and close up the way of those who pursue and persecute me. The Lord is my deliverance!" Isn't that great news? Even while we are trying to hold it together, God is fighting for us and He has the final say in the end. Don't let them steal your joy today!

No comments: