Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Don't Want to Wander? Learn the Lesson!

In reading Deuteronomy and the story of the children of Israel and how God was trying to mold and shape them into the people He wanted them to be, I was struck by God's reason for testing them. As you remember in the Bible, the children of Israel wandered for 40 years. God provided for them the whole way and most of the time, they ended up complaining about their circumstances. Deuteronomy 8:2 says, "Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands."

Ever wonder why we are tested? This verse clearly outlines the reason--God tests us to know our heart.

Nine years ago when I left WAPT, I was at a low point in my life. I called my mother to complain and cry about it all and she gave me some great advice---"Learn why God has brought this test your way and learn the lesson quickly. Don't be like the children of Israel and wander in this desert for 40 years when you could easily come out of it much sooner. Learn the lesson and move on!" How right she was.

Now when I see a test headed my way, I ask God to teach me what I'm supposed to learn and help me get it right the first time. He provides for us through the trials and He is proud of us when we shorten our time in the desert.

No comments: