Thursday, December 6, 2007

Love Him Alot

Time to pull the nativity scene out once again. Our nativity set is nothing spectacular. It is wooden and cheap--just right for little hands to hold and drop on the floor countless times. I use the nativity scene every year to teach the children about Jesus. We role play and take turns at telling the story. Pulling the scene out today, I was reminded of Gracie's rendition of it last year. I wrote this on one of my blog entries from last December, but thought I'd share it again.

At our house, we have a wooden nativity set my daughter Gracie plays with. Its cheap enough that it would not be too expensive to replace should one piece get broken or should baby Will chew the angel's halo off. Gracie is a loving 3 1/2 year old, but she has a tendency to squeeze baby Will too hard when she hugs him. We've had several conversations with her lately on the importance of being gentle---it's ok to love baby Will, but don't squeeze him too hard--he's not Charmin! While I was playing with Gracie, she said she wanted to tell me the "Baby Jesus" story. I obliged. She grabbed the angel and baby Jesus and said "Hello everybody! My name is angel and I'm here to tell you that baby Jesus has been born today." She handed baby Jesus over to Mary and Joseph and instructed them both, "Here is your baby Jesus. Love him alot, but don't squeeze him too hard!" I bit my lip and tried my best not to laugh. Then I realized Gracie had gotten the whole Christmas story perfect---"love him alot". That's what Christmas is all about.

No comments: