Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Words--A Powerful Witness

Sometimes, you just need alittle good news. I got this email last week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barbie, I know your brother Doug. I deliver his propane gas to the farm. He told me today what happened to him. When I left him today, I was going down Highway 6, and I started praying and cried. I asked Jesus to come into my life. I needed that talk. God has left him for a good reason. PRAISE GOD. Signed, Gene
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who are readers of this blog, you are aware of what Gene is referring to--my brother's heart attack and his heavenly experience (read the August 10 blog entry). Because my brother was willing to witness to Gene, Gene will now have eternal life and a life worth living.

Matthew 12:36-37 says, "On the day of judgement, I will have to give an account for every idle word I speak. For by my words I will be justified and acquitted, and by my words I will be condemned and sentenced." Proverbs 18:21 says, "The power of life and death are in the tongue and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it (for death or life)."

How many times a day do you and I let pass when we should be witnessing to others? Sure, most of us haven't had a near death experience, but we have something to boast about--how our life has changed since Christ came into our lives.

Being in the "Bible Belt" in Mississippi, we assume everyone around us knows the hope by which we are called, but that isn't necessarily the case. If that were true, Gene would've had someone share Christ with him before last week. What an awesome responsibility we have in giving life to others just by the words we share and knowing that when we get to heaven, we will be justified and acquitted because we were willing to testify to the changes in our life since Jesus came into our heart!

No comments: