Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wednesday's Gustav Update

Over the next few days, I'm going to be giving you my thoughts on Gustav--at least until we know he won't be a threat for Mississippi. I don't always share my personal opinions or gut feelings in my weathercasts, so this gives me an opportunity to do so.

I am very concerned. You've seen the computer models and you know the scenarios. We have a cold front that will move into the state on Friday. This front is progged to move into south Mississippi over the weekend and stall out. By that point, Gustav will be back to hurricane status (most models have it as a category 3 by that point), and churning in the Gulf of Mexico. If this upper trough (or leftover front) hangs around the northern gulf on Sunday and Monday, it will turn Gustav more eastward putting Mississippi in his path. If the trough doesn't make it that far and the winds from a high pressure over Florida weaken, Gustav will move more westward...like Louisiana, Texas. Where Gustav goes is totally dependent meteorologically upon the high pressure and the upper trough.

I've seen this before. I saw it the Friday before Hurricane Katrina hit. Everyone thought I was crazy (after all, Katrina was supposed to hit Florida, right?). Obviously, Gustav bears watching.
Yesterday, we put the "Bassett household crisis plan" into motion. Knowing that my husband will most likely disappear for days, weeks, or even months as before with Katrina and I will be working for days upon end without coming home, we've already made our plans to send our children out of town. I suggest you begin thinking about the steps you need to take SHOULD this Gustav stay on his current path.

All of this is subject to change and I'll be keeping you updated with inside information here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've started praying that this hurricane will steer away from us, or even better, that the Lord will calm the storm....
Thanks for the inside information.

Wilson said...

Yikes! Thanks for the input and keeping us all in the know.

Jill McCormick said...

Thanks for your input! I trust your thoughts... Praying for South Mississippi, As you know we are from Bude. Keep us updated.

In His Grace,
Jill

Anonymous said...

Katrina and Andrew were August babies correct?

Ashley said...

I am so glad you posted this. We do not have t.v. (well, we have a t.v. but no channels) so I am unable to watch the news. (Sorry, Barbie) We have been thinking of getting some sort of weather radio to have since we don't have someone on the news to let us know something serious is coming.

I am grateful that you will be keeping us up to date on this situation. I will keep watching your blog for any new updates on Gustav. We are putting our emergency plan in action. Thank you for letting us know or I wouldn't have even known anything was coming. This is reminding me that I need to keep up to date with the news online or get a weather radio.

Anonymous said...

Barbie,
My 10 year old daughter has a fear of the weather that is beyond anything that I have ever seen. Please keep us informed because this is something that is so serious to her, and the weather scares her so that she just can not breathe. This fear of hers is so real, you can see it in her eyes, and in her face. Do you have any suggestions. Oh! She says that she is going to be you when she gets old enough. She trust what you say, and she listens at every show, please tell us when we need to panic,...