Tuesday, September 30, 2008

GPS-God's Positioning System

I travel alot speaking to churches, various groups, conferences and seminars. Last Fall, I was in the small town of Durant at Holmes Community College and got lost coming home (for those of you from Mississippi, you know this is almost impossible since Durant is tiny). So after I explained to my husband why I was late getting home, all he could do was laugh. He actually thought it was funny that I got lost leaving Durant! So, he bought me a Tom-Tom GPS for my car and told me, "Just listen and follow the directions."

I can type in my ending destination and a nice female voice the GPS says, "calculating route". If I pass my exit it will say, "turn around". If I go the wrong way, it was say "re-calculating". When I get to the location I've typed in it says, "You have reached your destination." It's nice knowing that little computer knows exactly where I am no matter where I travel, even though I may be as lost as a goose!

God knew you and me before we were born and His plan for us has never changed. Lamentations 3:58 says, "O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life." When we get off course, God re-calculates us in order to bring us back to His plan and purpose. His destination for us doesn't change. He is constantly working in us to bring us into His perfect will.

Isn't it nice to know that even though we may not know where we are headed in each situation, God does? And one day, He will look you in the eyes and you'll know that you have reached your destination.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Barbie! This is the best illustration I've ever heard of God's sovereignty and our free will. I appreciate your time and wisdom in inspiring us through your blog. Would love for your GPS to bring you back to Meadville anytime!

Michael Detwiler said...

Fantastic post Barbie...appreciate your faith and how you tie in personal stories and God's leading....thank you for your blog.

Samantha said...

This was really encouraging today. Just what I needed to hear! Thanks for your faithfulness in sharing what God is teaching you!

The Mathis Bunch said...

Thank you for that refreshing thought. I have not been able to read in a couple of days-but I read this one on a perfect day. I needed that today. Thanks for sharing!