Thursday, April 12, 2007

Beautiful Lips

Yesterday, I had a speech to give in Meadville. I was hurrying to get my makeup and hair done and finished a few minutes early before the sitter arrived. I put on my favorite shade of lipstick and sat down on the couch next to Gracie. She looked at me and put her hand on my face and said, "Mommy, your lips are beautiful!"

On the way to Meadville, I started thinking about the words that I say and the comments I make. As Christians, our words are our radar in the spiritual realm--our words are how God locates us and how we communicate with Him. But our words can also build up and tear down others. In James 1:26, it says "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."

The tongue is a hard muscle to train and rein in, especially when we spout an inappropriate word every now and then, talk about someone else maliciously or even make uncalled for comments. James is clearly saying that if we claim to be spiritually mature, but yet we don't sound like we are spiritually mature, then we are lying to ourselves and those around us. Its a humbling thought that our words can affect how others perceive us.

So I had to ask myself, are my lips really beautiful? Are my words filled with beauty and edification or one of despair and negativity?

3 comments:

April said...

Wow, this is very similar to a day I had yesterday. It seemed that everywhere I turned, another bad thing happened. I found myself blaming everyone else around me, saying different things that I shouldn't have. And then, I stopped and thought about what I was saying. Every negative thing I was saying was geared at a girl I have a grudge on and in return, she has a grudge on me. When I'm mad at someone, it's as if my tongue has a mind of its own. You're right, Barbie. The tongue is a hard muscle to keep still. Sometimes my tongue and I don't see eye to eye. But when I start talking about someone else or saying things I shouldn't, I stop, think, and pray. I haven't mastered the talent but I'm working on it. =)

And though it's from a three year old's point of view, Gracie's right. You do have beautiful lips. On the outside and in. ;-)

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

wow. that is a lot to take in and think about!!!!! you are so right and i needed the reminder.

all of your "blog devotions" are so timely for me. i thank God for you and your little tidbits!

KeithAR2002 said...

Well, Barbie, I really can't make a comment about your lips...haha....but they look about as perfect as you, yourself, are! That's all I can say =)