Friday, April 20, 2007

A Call to Prayer

If you're like me, you've found yourself doing alot of praying this week. Govenor Haley Barbour has declared today a "day of mourning" across our state. I'd like to take it a step further and make it a "day of prayer". I'm ready to move on, but prayer is the only way I can do that.

Whatever you do today, just pray. We don't have to pray. We get to pray. I used to think God wanted long, drawn-out, wordy, colorful prayers. Not so. He wants to hear directly from my heart. In James 5:15, says we ought to offer prayers in faith. What does that mean? Praying in faith means to believe whatever you are praying about will come to be; you are believing who God is and what He will do. When Gracie wants to jump off the side of the pool, I can tell her I'll catch her. But until she has faith in me and jumps off the edge of the pool, she will never know how strong her mommy is and that I really WILL catch her.

The grand thing about prayer is..it is portable—you can do it wherever you are and whatever time you wish, at lunch or at the dinner table with your family. But pray. And pray in faith.

1 comment:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

again, thanks for this reminder. i always try to end my prayers with "and God, i am praying believing". i think that helps me to remember that i have faith and believe that He is going to hear my prayer.