Monday, April 2, 2007

Doing Your Best or Preparing to Win

On the side, I coach young ladies in the interview/talent areas for pageant competitions. I enjoy getting attached to the girls, watching them improve their self esteem and for many, see them take home the crown. I'm working with one local teen as she prepares for the Mississippi Jr. Miss competition this summer.

Two weeks ago, I started working with "SB". I explained all she needed to start doing in staying current with national, state and local news; journaling her opinions on various topics; and making the most out of her idle time and using it for preparation. We did a few mock interviews and I could tell SB wasn't going anywhere. Not that she was horrible at interview, but she wasn't making strides. I was frank with SB and told her she needed to decide how she wanted to approach the Jr.Miss competition---she can work on doing her best and making new friends, or she can prepare to win. If SB was going to work at doing her best for the pageant, in my opinion, she was wasting her time and her parents' money in hiring me. If she was in it to win it, then she was on the right track. The choice was her's to make.

Last Saturday, we met again. We started our mock interviews and I could tell a drastic improvement had taken place. When she finished, I asked "What happened? You have improved so much!" SB smiled and said, "I decided I wanted to win!"

In Philippians 3:14, Paul decided he wanted to win in his spiritual life. "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it (spiritual perfection). But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Don't get me wrong, I competed in pageants for years. Some I wanted to do my best in because I knew I up against fierce competition. But when I decided I wanted to win, that's when I started taking home crowns.

Is your spiritual life one that you would say you are "doing your best" at? Or, have you decided you want to "win"?

No comments: