Monday, April 9, 2007

The Queen Egg

We are back and had a wonderful time. We spent some much needed time together and enjoyed every minute of it. We all visited with our families and caught up on the latest going on with everyone. I only wish we had more excuses to get together more often!

On Sunday afternoon, the time came for our annual family Easter Egg hunt. I can't tell you how many were hidden because no one counted before the eggs were hidden. It didn't seem to matter because the kids were out to have fun anyway. When I was little, there was always a "queen egg" to be found. It was usually a larger egg that had a few extra surprises in it and if you found it, well, you found THE egg of all eggs!

One my sisters did the "queen egg" this year and she put a few dollars inside it. If you want this egg, you have to be willing to look high and low and all around because chances are, it will NOT be on the grass right in front of you. My nephew found this year's prize egg and hooped and hollered the whole time. It was hidden in a bird house entrance about 6 feet up.

I thought about how our spiritual life is like this sometimes. There are spiritual tidbits (or eggs) that come to us easily. We soak in the preacher's sermons on Sunday mornings and take away comments or points made. But there are other times when we are spiritually dry and we can't seem to find the answers to our problems. Times get tough and we feel alone. That's when we have to take the initiative and start looking for the "queen egg". In 2 Chronicles 28:9, David says "If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, he will reject you forever."

If we look alittle harder, seek alittle more, and immerse ourself in the word, the answers to our problems will be found. It isn't always an easy find, but it is a find that will offer us the peace and reassurance we are looking for in our time of need.

3 comments:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

thank you, so much, for your reminder. i don't post a response every time, but i do read your blog every day. such awesome little tidbits that we all need to be reminded of!

my family also enjoyed a little get-away to the Delta (Minter City). there's nothing like going home...

Barbie Bassett said...

Glad to hear you got to go home! Thanks for your encouraging words. Somedays I think maybe I'll discontinue the blog. But when I get posts like yours, I'm convinced to do another post. I just hope I am able to encourage others in their faith walk.

ALongShotAtLove said...

Oh no, Barbie! Please don't discontinue your blog! I have just discovered it and I love it-it's such a refreshing break I take at work and get so much out of reading it. I've even told my mom about your website and she loves it as well-she thinks whatever you say, either on your blog or the weather, is GOSPEL! :)