Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Fixing Our Eyes

I've found myself hugging my children alittle tighter, kissing them alittle more and letting them crawl all over me here lately. It is going to be quite some time before our country heals from the Virginia Tech massacre. In watching some of the news coverage this morning, the story I found most profound was the one of the professor who survived the Holocaust, only to be gunned down by a 23 year old who considered himself a victim in life. And while there are no words or phrases that will make us feel better in this time of never ending questions, the Bible offers hope.

In Hebrews 12:2 says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." The Hebrews are encouraging the early Jewish believers who, because of persecution and hardship, were pulled toward reverting to their old ways. They are told to "keep on keeping on" and to "fix" their eyes on Jesus.

During these days of seeking answers to our questions of why this event happened, we can take comfort on looking to Jesus to heal the broken hearts and persevering through our own daily trials and troubles.

2 comments:

April said...

My family is still healing after what happened two days ago. All of my babies that I take care of Sunday's and Wednesday's at my church will get extra attention from me tonight. I consider each and every one of them my own children. Ever since Monday, I've been looking forward to Wednesday to hold my children.

It will be a very long time before anyone recovers. My mother cried all last night while watching the story unfold. I started to see a pattern. She'd glance at me while we were watching the story. Her and I share the ability of Empathy towards each other. I can sense when she was worried or scared and she can sense it with me also. I knew she was scared for my safety and worried about me at my school. Of course, she knows that the security is there but it's the fact that I am a college student around the same age as this killer and those victims. I know she's scared and all I can do is reassure that I am fine.

I have been in almost constant prayer since that day that this happened and I feel God telling me that life will be better. But our faith must stay strong to get through this. I know mine is. And I am pushing through the pain, believing that God will ease those minds not only in Virginia and the rest of the world but in my mother's mind as well.

glenn said...

Good post. I have a nephew at Ole Miss, and after what happened at VT, I sent a text message, just to touch base I guess. It just made me aware, that it could just as easily have happened at Ole Miss, or MSU, or any of our other schools. We just need to take the time to let people know we care. Its only by the grace of God that it didn't happen in our state.