Thursday, July 5, 2007

Putting the 4th of July Into Perspective

Yesterday was the 4th of July and many had the day off. I didn't (we don't get many holidays off in the tv business). I watched on our newscasts the different neighborhood parades, the various speeches and the fireworks displays. It was obviously a fun day for many.

On the flip side, I heard the latest statistics on the casualties in the war in Iraq and so forth. I admit, I don't always agree with the decisions made in Washington, D.C. or in my own county, for that matter. But God did not put me in those leadership positions as He has others. Although we are free to bicker and complain, we are also free to pray for our leaders. In the book of Titus, Paul is reminding his good friend Titus how important it is to respect and pray for authority figures. Titus was helping to lead a troubled church on the small island of Crete. Paul tells him in Titus 3:1-2 "Remind the people to be subject to rules and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate and to show true humility toward all men."

Leading our cities, county, state and country is the elected officials' responsibility. Praying they make the right decisions is ours.

3 comments:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

CONGRATS to you and maggie wade for the "tie" for best t.v. personality in the newest Mississippi Magazine!!!!!!!!!

Barbie Bassett said...

Thanks, Suzanne! That was a pleasant surprise to say the least. And who better to share the "title" with than my good friend Maggie? She deserves it much more than I.

Anonymous said...

Barbie, I agree with you about our leaders. While we may not agree with everything they do, it's OUR responsiblity to pray for them as they lead. It all goes back to RESPECT.