Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Ring

Gracie looked at my engagement ring yesterday and asked a question she has never asked before, "Why do you wear that sparkly ring, mommy?" "When daddy asked me to marry him, he gave me this ring. I wear it so people will know I'm married to daddy. It tells people that daddy loves me," I explained.

God makes it evident that He loves us, too, even though we don't wear a ring. Proverbs 8:17 says, "God loves those who love Him, and those who seek Him early and diligently shall find Him." In the New Testament, diligence means "earnestness or zeal". When you are dating someone, you earnestly seek their heart to win them over and you go after them with a zeal like none other. So in essence, God loves us and wants us to earnestly seek Him and His will. When we do, we win His heart.

Before I set off for work yesterday, Gracie came running up to me and said, "Look, mommy! I have a ring, too." It was an elastic, form fitted children's ring that came with a necklace someone had given her. "Daddy gave it to me," she said. "He loves me and married me!"

Oh, how I hope she still feels that way when she turns 16!

1 comment:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

how precious. i can remember as a child just wanting to walk around with my mom's wedding ring on.