Monday, September 17, 2007

Angels in Strangers

Saturday night I was honored to emcee the fundraising dinner for the Brain Injury Association of Mississippi at the Jackson Country Club. I sat at the table with several doctors and speech therapists who specialize in brain injuries. All of the guests at my table were from out of state. They all knew each other, but they didn't know me. They asked questions about what I do and so forth. Shortly after, someone read my bio to the audience and called me to the platform to begin the evening. After my part was through and I returned to my table, one of the guests leaned over and said, "I didn't know I was sitting next to someone who is such a celebrity! I would've acted better!"

How do you act when you are around others? Are you kind, gracious, friendly, hospitable, and a witness for Christ? Can others around you see the light of Christ in you? In Hebrews 13:2 says, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." The Bible is referring to Abraham and Sarah in Genesis 18:1-15 and Lot in Genesis 19:1-13.

There are strangers who sit at your life's table every day. Treat them as though they were angels.

3 comments:

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

thank you for the reminder.....

Wanda M said...

A wonderful reminder of how we are to always be on our best behavior. We tend to forget that God is always watching - not just those around us. Love your blog Barbie!

WandaM

melinda courtney said...

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) I thought of this quotation while reading this post. Our pastor shared this during a sermon several years ago, and it is a good reminder to us all. thanks for sharing your thoughts! your blog is wonderful & inspiring!