Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Striving to be Stress Free

While I was doing some house work in the back yesterday, I heard Gracie yelling for me. "Mommy, baby Will is making a mess!" she said. I walked in the living room to see Will holding a large piece of Gracie's sidewalk chalk in his hand. He was practicing being a Picasso on the back of the couch. Will had a look on his face that said, "Who? Me?" I grabbed the chalk out of his hand and got a wet rag and began cleaning up his lovely artwork on the back of the couch. Gracie stood there shaking her head. "See, mom," she said. "Having a baby brother is a lot more work than I expected!"

It was obvious Will's actions stressed Gracie out. She can usually control Will's mischievous ways, but when she can't, she yells for me to come to the rescue. Philippians 4:6 says, "I will not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, continue to make my wants known to God." It is hard not to worry. It seems as if we are wired to be anxious even about the tiniest of things. But when we define our requests and make our wants known to God, He is the one responsible for answering--not us.

2 comments:

Joddie said...

I'm sure Gracie is filing these things in her little memory bank to remind Will of when he has little "picassos" of his own one day :)

It's a great thing to KNOW that God has the answers to ALL things and we don't have to rely on just ourselves...what a mess that would be!

Amy said...

Years ago my older sister and I decided to be creative and draw on the walls inside our closet (which I know, not everyone can see the closet). After punishing my sister and I, my mom was going to paint over it, but she never got around to it. Now I am 34 and my sister is 37 and out closet at "home" still has our crayon drawings. My mom is glad that she never painted over it. She says every now and then she will go in our old room, look at our drawings and think of times when we were still kids. Maybe one day Will will decide to be creative in the closet instead of the back of your couch. Amy