Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Objects May Appear Larger Than They Are

Yesterday as I was sitting in the weather lab preparing my forecast, something on our downtown skycam caught my eye. I noticed what looked to be a gigantic bug of dinosauric proportions. From the view I had, it looked as if the downtown Jackson skyline was about to be swallowed by this monstrous bug. When I looked again, I could finally make it out--the bug was on the camera lens which made it look tremendous in size. In reality, the bug was small. Then I had a flashback to when I was a kid and would watch those old Japanese monster movies on Saturday mornings. You know, the ones where the lizards were magnified times 10,000 and made to look like they roamed the earth? When I was a child, those movies could scare the beegeebees out of me!

Sometimes our problems look much bigger than they really are only because we are looking at them with human eyes. Elisha's servant had that problem, too. In 2 Kings, the king of Aram was at war with Israel and decided to attack Israel. The king summoned his officers to find out where Elisha was hiding out and was told Elisha was in the city of Dothan. The king sent horses, chariots and a strong force there to surround the city. Elisha's servant woke up and saw an army of horses and chariots had encamped them. "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked Elisha. In 2 Kings 6:16, Elisha tells his servant, "'Don't be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.' And Elisha prayed, 'O, Lord, open his eyes so that he may see.' Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha."

In our life, our circumstances may seem much bigger than they really are at the moment. Isn't it good to know they are but dust to God and He puts a hedge of protection around us while He fights for us?

2 comments:

Debra said...

Wow Barbie, How the LORD uses you to make HIS WORD so enjoyable!! I love it. Does HE lead you to a certain chapter in the Bible or do you have a guide for the year? Thank you for sharing these golden nuggets with us. I bet many do not even know who Elisha is. The LORD bless you, Barbie Bassett, and may HE continue to use you to make HIS WORD known in a simple way as JESUS did.

Barbie Bassett said...

Thanks, Debra. Actually, I come up with these "quips" using my life as a guide--what I go through each day, encounters, experiences, etc. Then I find passages in the Bible to help me make sense of those. So yes, I let the Lord lead me wherever He may want me to go.