Monday, September 10, 2007

Update on My Brother

The blog entry I wrote on August 10 ("Address in Heaven") has made its way literally around the world. Blog readers copied and pasted the email and it has seen its share of readers. Almost every day, I receive several emails asking if my brothers near death experience is really true. Many have replied as to how much peace this has brought them in knowing more about what their loved ones are experiencing now in heaven and what we have to look forward to one day. So with that said, I thought I'd give you an update on Doug's progress.

Doug is still prohibited from driving on the highways until six months have passed because of his defibrillator. However, last week the doctors gave him permission to drive the back roads (if you know the Mississippi Delta well enough, you know there are plenty of back roads!). Doug has been able to farm several hours a day, which the doctors said he would never do again. He must rest frequently until his strength is back up to speed. Otherwise, he is walking one hour a day for exercise and enjoying life.

A few days before his heart attack in July, Doug found himself sitting on the tractor in the middle of the field. While sitting there waiting on a tractor part to be delivered, he noticed a couple of small birds pecking around in his field. He thought to himself, "You poor little things. There is nothing out here for you. The ground in dry, its hot and its all you can do to survive." After thinking that, he noticed a pile of seed that had fallen out of the planter. The birds immediately made a feast of the seed. Doug said he heard God tell him, "See, I take care of the birds. I'll take care of you, too." Within a couple of day, Doug had his heart attack. We have all witnessed how God has provided for him. When the doctors told us 99% of the patients they see in Doug's condition never make it, we knew it would be a blessing if he lived.

I don't know why Doug wasn't one of those 99%. I believe God heard the prayers of everyone and responded to that. More importantly, I believe our faith has been a witness to those around us, hopefully giving others faith to face the obstacles in their life. Isaiah 40:29 says, "God gives power to the faint and weary, and to him who has no might He increases strength." All of our strength in God has been increased.

Speaking of blessings, I will make a personal announcement tonight at 6pm during my weather cast. I hope you'll join me in this special bit of news.

3 comments:

Wilson said...

Congrats on your special news. Hope you have a healthy pregnancy. Children are such a blessing as you well know. My husband and I waited three years for our precious daughter and she was worth all the waiting. I am hoping to get pregnant again soon and hope that the Lord will once again here my prayers for a child.

Melanie said...

Congratulations Barbie!!! Hoping and praying that it is a healthy pregnancy! Melanie Smith

Norma said...

Best Wishes and Special Congratulations.

Norma