Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Are You Sure?

Do you remember the old Sure! commercial? The commercial was for a deoterant and the jingle went something like this: Raise your hand, raise your hand if you're Sure! Are you sure you're going to spend eternity in heaven when you die? How do you know? John understood how important it is that we be assured of our eternal destiny. In I John 5:13 he wrote, "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life."

Ask anyone about their relationship with Jesus and why they believe they are going to heaven. These are some of the responses you'll get: "I know I'm a Christian or going to heaven because..
..I'm a good person...I've been baptized..I'm a member of the church...I walked the aisle and gave my life to Jesus...I've been a Christian ever since I was born...I've invited Jesus into my life, I've believed on Him; therefore I'm saved."

Let's suppose you answered in one of the above ways. Truthfully, all of those answers are connected to the past--either something you believed or something you did. So let me ask another question: what present evidence in your life shows you and others that you really are a child of God....that you are really Sure?

No comments: