Monday, February 11, 2008

The Handprint of God

When I come home between newscasts every night, the first thing my children do is jump in my parked car, close the doors and play. I don't know what it is about a parked car that isn't running in the garage, but from what I can tell, they use their imagination well. I usually hear Gracie giving a countdown like she's the commander of the space shuttle: "three, two, one...blast off!" Will just punches any and every button he can find and plays with the steering wheel. That usually keeps them occupied while I put dinner on the table.

While I was driving to Clinton last week to teach my class at Mississippi College, the sun's rays shown through the driver's side window. There was an image on the my window that caught my eye. It was a tiny handprint with all five fingers and palm. I grabbed a napkin and put it up to the window to wipe Will's handprint off. Then I stopped. "That handprint won't be that small in a few years. I'll keep it on the window as a reminder," I convinced myself.

In the same way Will left his sweet handprint for me on the inside of my window, God has left His handprint on you. When He created you, He made you to have all of the characteristics He wanted you to have. More importantly, God made you for a specific purpose. Ephesians 2:10 says, "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." This means when God created you, He annointed you to do something specific for His kingdom. When I make a cross-stitched piece of artwork, I have a purpose for it....a reason. And while I'm making it, I'm already thinking about where I will display it once I'm finished and the kind and color of frame I'm going to put it in.

Have you ever wondered what your purpose is? Ask God why He made you. Ask Him to reveal what task He has designed you for and ask Him to give you the grace and mercy to accomplish that task for His kingdom. If we are just in this world to live as WE want and do as WE please, we are being wasted.

No comments: