Friday, March 6, 2009

Faith Is Motion Activated

Growing up in a small town, we didn't see many technological advancements--we had to go to the "big cities" to do that. I remember when I took my first drive through a touchless car wash. All I had to do was sit in my car, park it, and watch the water and brushes do the rest. No more getting out of the car, putting quarters in the machine and getting sprayed with water and being cold while you washed your car! I remember the first time I went to a fancy hotel in town and noticed there was no soap dispenser, no knobs on the faucets and no turn-and-crank hand towels. After using the restroom, I wondered "Now, how am I supposed to wash my hands? This place has no soap, no towels and no way to turn the water on!" It wasn't until I watched someone else until I realized it was motion activated. Not to be outdone by my trip to the bank with my roommate while at Mississippi College. She pulled up to the bank, slipped in a credit card, and money came out! When I got back to my dorm, I called my mother and told her about this wonderful invention. "She put a card in, pressed a few buttons and money came right out! It was the coolest thing!" Needless to say, we didn't have ATMs in Marks.

When you and I have faith, we believe God for whatever He said He's going to do for us. 'Believe' is a verb and verbs always show action. Effective faith, or faith that gets action, must be translated into action. James 2:17 says, "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

Faith is an act. By faith, we have access to the grace of God. And just alittle bit of faith can access a whole lot of grace!

Many churches these days are filled with nouns, pronouns and prepositions but God is looking for verbs. He is looking for people who will believe and will act in faith because faith moves God. Faith will not move anything until it moves you.

No comments: