Monday, March 16, 2009

Has Your Hearing Been Checked?

I have a bionic ear. Some say every mother acquires one at some point. Just recently at church while teaching Sunday School, I heard Lilly Faith crying in her room all the way down the hall. She's been teething and every now and then, gets a little fussy. So I walked all the way down the hall from where my room is and peeked into her nursery room. "Is she ok?" I asked. The teacher looked at me surprised, "How did you know she was crying?" she asked. "You're room is on the other end!" There is just something about the pitch and tone of a child's voice. A mother can pick out her child's voice over all others!

If you think about it, faith begins with hearing a certain sound that other people can't hear. Romans 10:17-18 says, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the end of the world." Mark 4:23-25 says, "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear; with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you; and unto you that hear shall more be given. For he that hath, to him shall be given; and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath."

Some say there are two groups of people: the haves and the have nots. But Jesus went a step further and said there were two groups of people: the hearers and the hear nots. Faith comes by hearing a certain sound---the Word of God. The Word opens our ears to His supernatural plan and His provision. It is safe to say that our hearing has alot to do with our having!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I remember my pastor growing up saying that when he and his wife had their 1st child they lived fairly close to railroad tracks. He said that a train could come through at 2am and his wife won't move, but if the baby rolled over in the next room, she'd wake up. :)

Samantha said...

Well said! I pray I am always counted in as not only a hearer but a doer!

beth said...

Barbie wanted to let you know that you look great keep up the hard work. I was considering doing the same diet. Could you let me know who I need to talk to about joining? God Bless

Anonymous said...

That is so true, Barbie. I just recently heard that small still voice, this year. I was driving by Kroger and the Holy Spirit said to stop and buy flowers. I was on my way to visit some senior adults. It was my first, for the whole ordeal. First, for visitation, first from hearing God to buy flowers for someone(of which just threw me for I don't show partaility). So, I didn't buy them and the second person on my list opened her door and said,"excuse my apt. but I usually have fresh flowers". I knew from then on when I hear that voice, to obey it.