Friday, May 25, 2007

11 Years and Counting

Gracie informed me the other day that she is going to marry her daddy. I told her I thought that was sweet, but that I was already married to him and one day she will marry someone else. "But mommy," she said, "we can share daddy." Then she went on to tell me Bert Case is her boyfriend.

The Bible says husbands and wives should love each other just as Jesus loves the church (His people). That's powerful. There have been many times when I haven't loved my husband that much! Every relationship has its ups and downs. But the main thing successful marriages have is commitment. Think about that...if we are to love each other as Christ loves the church, then we must be committed the other person. Christ doesn't give up on us. He loves us in spite of our faults, mess ups, blatant disregard for His Word, our moodiness--you name it. Yet He never throws up His hands and says "I'm outta here. You're just too difficult to live with anymore! You never listen. You don't know how I feel. We never spend time together anymore!" Instead, He sticks with us through thick and thin, always ready to welcome us back even when we have felt like throwing in the towel. When you think of marriage as a reflection of Christ's relationship to you, it puts things into perspective.

So as my husband and I celebrate our 11th anniversary today, I'm thankful for his commitment to me (and my crazy life) and I'm grateful Christ's love abides in him to give him just the right amount of mercy he needs to stay the course.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend and a restful Memorial Day!

3 comments:

Drewe Llyn said...

Happy Anniversary!

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

Happy Anniversary, Barbie & William!

i actually thought about you today on our way home from chicago on amtrak - it went straight through marks! then, of course, close to my hometown of minter city!!!

there's no place like home......

mom2richard said...

Hi Barbie - Happy Anniversary - where does the time go? It seems as if we were at MC together just a "couple of years ago" - hope you had a good day.