Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wisdom From Above

While we were in the car last week running errands, Gracie piped up from the backseat and said, "Mommy, I know all about babies." You can imagine the shock I felt inside, so I decided to inquire about how much my 3 year old really knew about babies. "Oh, really? Tell me what you know about babies," I said. "Well, you go to the hospital and God brings a baby to the hospital and you get to take it home," Gracie answered. Breathing a sign of relief, I said "That's exactly how it happens!"

I was reading this morning about Solomon. Solomon was David's son and the heir to the throne. Some estimate Solomon was about 20 years old when he became king. You can imagine he was a bit nervous taking over after his father was so successful and dearly loved as king. The Bible says that Solomon asked God for wisdom to make the right decisions. In I Kings 3:10, it says "The Lord was pleased that Solomon has asked for this (wisdom). 'Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment, I will do what you have asked." The Bible goes on to say that God gave Solomon more than he asked for including riches and honor and a long life. The Bible says there has never been, nor will there ever be, a king as wise as Solomon.

I don't know about you, but I have numerous decisions to make every day. Some are trivial and some are more important than others. Ask for wisdom. God honors pure motives and those who honestly seek His counsel.

No comments: