Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Big, Hairy Deal..

Gracie woke up this morning and all sleepy-eyed asked, "Mommy, what happened to your hair?" I reminded her that I got it cut yesterday so it could go to someone else who didn't have hair. "I remember now," she said. "Because God said to share."

What a tremendous 24 hours it has been! I saw mothers and sons get their hair cut together; 4 sisters get their hair cut together; fathers and daughters have their hair chopped together, tears shed and the list goes on and on. There were heartwarming stories and some without stories (like myself). It was a day that would make any hard-hearted person melt.

So many people wanted to make yesterday about me. But it wasn't. It was about the hundreds of men, women, and children, from all races, who joined together to give women hope...hope for the present and hope for the future. Take a look at some of these faces..













This is little Cody. His mom told me Cody kisses the television set every night when I do the weather and this 3 year old insisted he give me a kiss while his mom was getting her hair cut. I think he made my day more than I made his.

Who would've thought that when Stephanie Bell-Flynt told me I needed to "go public" with my hair growing, it would've turned in to a world record for hair donors? To me, these pictures tell the stories of those who grew their hair for women they will never meet. Sometimes, that's what makes giving so special.

2 comments:

Vi and Phil said...

Barbie,

What an absolutely beautiful thing to do! Of course, I already knew that you are a special person who thinks of others first. May God continue to bless your ministry throught TV.

Vi

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your new "do". Don't listen to all those negative people. They are only jealous and insensitive. They have obviously never been affected by this disease. Thanks.